Education - At Your Fingertips!
Welcome to your on-line GKC ARMA educational resource where educational opportunities and information resources are
"at your fingertips!"
If you need more information or would like to suggest additional educational or information resources, please contact your GKC Director of Education at
Upcoming Educational Opportunities
- Monthly GKC Educational Opportunities
- Free on-line Web Seminars
sponsored by ARMA International
- GKC ARMA Chapter Lending Library
Certifications for RIM Professionals
The primary certification in the Records Management profession is the Certified Records Manager (CRM) accreditation.
The Certified Records Manager designation is awarded by the Institute of
Certified Records Managers (ICRM). CRM candidates must meet education and
experience criteria before being approved to sit for a six-part exam. The first
five parts consist of multiple choice questions. For Part 6, candidates are
asked to write two case studies on specific records management issues.
Candidates have five years to complete the exam cycle.
The GKC ARMA Chapter strongly supports all its members who pursue certification. We also have members that participate in the ICRM’s formal CRM mentoring program. For more information on the GKC CRM Mentoring program, please contact the GKC Director of Education at
For more information about the CRM application process go to
CRM "Quick Facts" & FAQs
- To become a CRM an application must be completed and submitted to the ICRM with
supporting documentation indicating relevant work experience and education.
- There are six separate tests that are required to obtain your CRM accreditation.
They are commonly referred to as Part 1, Part 2, etc.
- Parts 1 through 5
consist of 100 multiple choice questions and are available on-line. Your test
results are immediately available after you have completed the test.
- Part 6 is
also on-line and consists of two case studies, one worth 40 points, the other
worth 60. Test results are not immediately available since the tests are sent to
other volunteer CRMs for grading. Your name is replaced by a personal identifier
so the CRM grading your test has no idea who you are.
- The GKC ARMA Chapter is
proud to have seven Certified Records Managers as members.
For more information about the testing process and procedures go to
www.icrm.org. Also available from this website is a free e-copy of the new
"Preparing for the CRM: A Handbook." If you have questions about the ICRM or the
CRM itself, please contact your local ARMA Chapter resource, Bob Featherston
GKC ARMA Certified Records Managers
GKC ARMA recognizes the following Records Management professionals who have
pursued and obtained the prestigious accreditation of Certified Records Manager.
- Diane Carlisle, ARMA International
- Melanie Escott, KCPL
- Robin Riat, National Archives and Records Administration
- Deborah Rifenbark, Stinson Morrison Hecker, LLP
- Abigail Schmidt, Sprint
- Karen Shaw, National Archives and Records Administration
- David Steward, Husch Blackwell LLP
- Luis V. Perez, National Nuclear Security Agency, Honeywell
"Ask the CRM" by Robert W. Dalton, CRM - Dalton Consulting - See
archive page for published articles.
Additional Certifications for RIM Professionals
- Certified Archivist (CA)
Given by: Academy of Certified Archivists (ACA)
- Certified Document Imaging Architect (CDIA)
Given by: Computer Technology Industry Association (CTIA)
- Business Continuity Planning Professional (CBCP)
Given by: Disaster Recovery Institute International (DRII)
- Project Management Professional (PMP)
Given by: Project Management Institute
- Certified Legal Administrator
Given by: Association of Legal Administrators (ALA)
- Certified Knowledge Manager (CKM)
Given by: Knowledge Management Certification Board (KMCB)
- Information Capture Professional (ICP)
Given by: The Association for Work Process Improvement (TAWPI)
- Certified Form Systems Professional (CFSP)
Given by: Business Forms Management Association (BFMA)
- Certified Internal Auditor (CIA)
Given by: Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA)
- Certified Document Consultant (CDC)
Given by: Document Management Industry Association (DMIA)
- Master of Information Technologies (MIT)
Given by: Association for Information and Image Management International (AIIM)
Website: www.aiim.org > Look under
- Certified Management Consultant (CMC)
Given by: Institute of Management Consultants
- Certified Restorer (CR)
Given by: National Institute of Disaster Restoration
- Certified Genealogical Records Specialist (CGRS)
Given by: Board for Certification of Genealogists (BCG)
- Certified Manager (CM)
Given by: Institute of Certified Professional Managers (ICPM)
- Electronic Document Professional Certification (EDP)
Given by: Xplor International
- Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE)
Given by: Association of Certified Fraud Examiners
- Certified Medical Manager (CMM)
Given by: Professional Association of Health Care Office Managers (PAHCOM)
- Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA)
Given by: American Health Information Management Association